Passenger and Cargo ferry is available from the municipality of Fajardo and managed by the Autoridad de Transporte Maritimo (ATM) , a government agency. Three vessels run between the town of Fajardo and Vieques several times a day. The ride generally takes about one hour and 15 minutes. The car ferry takes about two hours. The time may vary upon the boat you board and the weather conditions.
On this page you will find information on ferry rates, how to get to the ferry dock in Fajardo, contact information, ferry schedule and frequently asked questions about the ferry service.
Authority of Marine Transport / Autoridad de Trasporte Maritimo
Hours of Reservations
- Hours: 7:30am – 4:30pm
- Contact Numbers: Fajardo 787-860-2005 / ext. 221 and 222 Fax: 787-860-3580
- Vieques Office is located at the ferry dock in the town of Isabel Segunda. Phone: (787)741-4761
Here is their official website: Puerto Rico Port Authority
NOTE: We do our best to provide you up-to-date information, however please call Puerto Rican Port Authority Office in order to confirm the times, since schedules are always subject to changes
Passenger Ferry (Lancha) Information & Schedule
Taking the ferry to Vieques is the most cost-effective way to get to Vieques. Locals refer to the passenger ferry as “lancha”
Forms of Payment accepted:
- Master Card, Visa, Cash
Fees for Passenger Ferry
- Adults ages 60 and under - $4 Round Trip / $2 One way
- Children ages of 3 – 11 - $1 one way
- Seniors ages 60 - 74 – $1 One way
- Seniors ages 75 + - Free
Fajardo to Vieques Passenger Ferry Schedule
7 Days a Week
- From Fajardo to Vieques: 9:30 am, 1:00 pm, 4:30 pm, 8:00 pm
- From Vieques to Fajardo: 6:30 am, 11:00 am, 3:00 pm, 6:30 pm
Please note that the Cargo ferry also takes passengers, therefore offering additional times, see schedule below.
Cargo Ferry Information & Schedule
If you are traveling with a vehicle from Puerto Rico there is a cargo ferry available going to Vieques several times per day which also takes passengers. Recently more cargo ferry trips were added. Be advised that if all car reservations are on board, the ferry may leave earlier. You will need a reservation for the cargo ferry. Locals refer to the cargo ferry as “ferry”.
- Fajardo Office – (787) 863-0705, (787) 863-0852, (787) 863-4560, (800) 981-2005
- Vieques Office – (787) 741-4761
- Culebra Office – (787) 741-3161
Fees for the Cargo Ferry
- One way small car $15
- One way medium car or truck $19
- Driver’s fee Included
- Passengers fees $2 per person
Cargo Ferry Schedule
Fajardo to Vieques
- Monday to Fridays: 4:00 am, 6:30 am, 9:30 am, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm
- Saturdays: 9:30 am, 1:30 pm, 5:30 pm
- Sundays: 11:00 am, 5:00 pm
Vieques to Fajardo
- Monday to Fridays: 6:00 am, 8:3o am, 1:00 pm, 4:30 pm, 6:00 pm
- Saturdays: 7:30 am, 11:30 am, 3:30 pm
- Sundays: 9:00 am, 1:00 pm, 7:00 pm
Frequently asked questions about the ferry service
Can we make reservations for the Vieques ferry?
Unfortunately you may not make reservations online or by phone, however you may purchase tickets ahead at the Fajardo or Vieques harbors. If you are taking a vehicle, reservations are required for the Cargo Ferry, make your reservations ahead of time and arrive early. Phone numbers are listed below. For more information call
- Fajardo 787-863-0705 / 787-863-0852/ 787-863-4560
- Toll Free (800) 981-2005
The phone rings and rings and no one answers? Does that mean they’re closed?
The people working at the port, in the Vieques ferry and the Fajardo port, will rarely answer the phone to take your reservation. Unfortunately some of the Puerto Rican Government Offices simply don’t hire enough people to do the job right.
Can we rent a car in Puerto Rico and bring it to Vieques on the ferry?
If you have a rental car in Puerto Rico, check with the car rental company, most car rental agencies will not allow you to take the car off the main island of Puerto Rico.
How do I get from San Juan to Fajardo? – More about Getting from San Juan to Fajardo.