- Isla de Vieques – Official Name
- Bieke – Named by the Indians
- Isla Nena – kindly called by residents which translates to little girl island
- Vieques Island – English
- Spanish Virgin Islands – Sailors use this name to refer to both of the sister islands of Isla de Vieques and Isla Culebra.
- Vieques – simply the short name
Where is Isla de Vieques?
Vieques Island is located just a short 6 miles off the southeast coast of Puerto Rico, the Star of the Caribbean. Puerto Rico also possesses several other offshore islands; Isla de Culebra, Isla de Mona, Isla Desecheo, Isla de Vieques is the largest of all the Puerto Rico Islands.
Basic Facts about the island
Zip Code: 00765
Currency: U.S.A. Dollar
Electric: Current is 110 volts AC, same as the United States
Language: Spanish & English are the official languages in Puerto Rico. Spanish is preferred but many locals speak English as well. Vacation Rental owners and hotels all speak English.
Mayor of Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
Hon. Víctor Emeric (PPD)
Address: Calle Carlos Lebrun, #449
Vieques, PR 00765
Telephone:(787) 741-5000Fax (787) 741-0565
Newspaper of Isla de Vieques: Vieques Renace
Population: About 10,000 – Residents are called Viequenses
Size of the Island: Vieques is 21 miles long and 5 miles. Good things come in small packages.
Temperature: Average of 79 – 82 F. More on Vieques Weather
Time: AST (Atlantic Standard Time)
Topography: Vieques is made up of hills and valleys. The highest point on the island is Monte Pirata (Pirate’s Hill) which is 987 feet above sea level. The coastal areas consist of lagoons and mangrove swamps.
Emergency Services in Vieques
- If you experience a real emergency please dial 911
- Fire Department – (787) 741-2111
- Police Department – (787) 741-2020
- City Hall Office (787) 741-5000
- If you experience any electricity problems during your stay, first call the property manager of your vacation rental or hotel or call AEE (787) 289-3434
- The hospital number is (787) 741-3282