Flying is the most convenient way of getting to Vieques. Once you arrive at the San Juan Airport (SJU), you have four flying options to the airport in Vieques. If budget is not an issue, do yourself a favor and book a connecting flight from SJU, it is by far the most convenient and less time consuming. See more options below.
Avoid the ferry on weekends and holidays unless budget is a concern. If you can only afford one way, fly to Vieques and take the ferry back to Ceiba, it is much easier coming back to the main island than going on a busy weekend / holiday.
Airport OptionsTravel from Puerto Rico to Vieques
Option #1 – Fly from San Juan International Airport (SJU)
This is the quickest and most convenient way to travel to Vieques. All major airlines fly to the San Juan International Airport (SJU) and you can book a connecting flight to Vieques in one booking without having to leave the airport.
- Duration of flight: 30 minutes
- The cost is about $170 round trip p/p.
Option #2 – Fly from Isla Grande Airport (SIG), San Juan, PR
- Duration of flight: about 20 minutes
- The cost is about $110 round trip p/p.
- Flights from Isla Grande Airport must be booked with local airlines.
- See directory below for information on airlines flying from Isla Grande to Vieques.
Option #3 – Fly from the Ceiba Airport (RVR)
The Ceiba Airport is a great option when:
- You’re vacationing in Puerto Rico, have a car rental, and only wish to go to Vieques for a day trip. You can save money and time by flying from Ceiba to Vieques. I
- You’re staying longer, rent a one way car, drop it off at the airport and fly to Vieques.
- You’re on a tight budget, traveling with a group and don’t want to take the ferry.
- You can’t get a ferry ticket – During times when the ferry is not operational, or tickets are sold out, the best plan B is taking a flight from Ceiba. Be sure you have phone numbers of airlines handy (see directory below) so you can make reservations over the phone and secure them before heading to the airport, seasoned Vieques travelers often do this.
Duration of flight: 10 minutes
The Cost is proximately $40 per person
See directory below for information on airlines flying from Ceiba to Vieques.
Option #4 – Book an Air Charter
None of the flights times working for your travel needs? An Air Charter may be the best option for you. You may think that an air charter may be out of your budget, but if you are traveling with a group that would fill every seat in the plane, you may find that the convenience is worth spending a few more dollars. More about air charters.
Directory of Airlines & Charters
Cape Air Airlines
On-time whether it’s one person or a full plane. Air conditioned flights, new planes and great customer service. Easy booking online, just add your city of departure and Vieques as arrival and it will book the flights in one click through Priceline.com
Isla Nena Air Service
- (787) 863-4447
- (787) 741-1505
Vieques Air Link
- Vieques (787) 741-8331
- San Juan (787) 722-3736
- Toll free 1-888-901-9247
- Fajardo (787) 863-3020
- Vieques – 787 741-7900
- St. Croix – 340 778-8900
- San Juan – 787 791-8900
- BVI – 284 495-8900
- Isla Grande – 787 722-0775
- Vieques – 787 741-3911
- SJU – 787 791-7008
- Reservations 787 253-0866