If you are traveling in a budget or simply want to save some cash, we recommend you drive to the Fajardo Ferry Terminal or the Ceiba Airport and then head to Vieques or Culebra. It is a bit more inconvenient but if savings are important in your vacation budget, then it’s worth it.
On the way to or from Vieques you can stop by El Yunque, the only national rainforest under the United States Flag, or have lunch in Old San Juan after a visit to the San Juan National Historic Site and pebble stone streets of the historic old city.
Below are some options and directions for traveling to Fajardo and the Ceiba Airport from San Juan and vise versa.
For general information on getting to Vieques visit this page.
At the San Juan Airport (SJU), there is taxi service for tourists called “Taxis Turisticos which offer transportation from the San Juan Airport and San Juan Ports to Fajardo and the Ceiba Airport with fixed rates. Request a receipt with an actual rate total at the airport before getting on the taxi.
- The cost from SJU to Fajardo is $80 and covers a maximum of 5 passengers. A car will accommodate up to 5 passengers and a van up to 7. Each additional passengers is at a fee of $10.
- $0.50 each for the first 3 pieces of luggage, additional luggage at $1.00 each.
For additional information call (787) 547-1926 / 787-554-0037 or visit their official website here (new window)
Renting a One Way Car & Directions
If you prefer, you may rent a one way car at the San Juan International Airport. Most car rental companies offer free transportation to their rental center at the airport, you rent the car, drive to Fajardo / Ceiba office and they will transfer you to the ferry terminal or the Ceiba Airport. If you wish you can travel back to San Juan as well. Following are links to booking the one way car rental online or phone numbers to call.
Following are some One way car rental companies:
The Most economical and convenient way to rent a One Way Car from San Juan to Ceiba / Fajardo, Priceline Rental Cars up to 30% off – Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz & more.
From San Juan to Fajardo & Ceiba
- Leaseway – 1-800-468-2647 / San Juan Office (787) 791-5900 / Fajardo office(787) 860-5000
- L & M – 787 860-6868
From Fajardo & Ceiba to San Juan
- World Car Rental (787) 863-9696 or 860-4808Offices at the Ceiba Airport and the Fajardo Harbor.
Prices range from $26 – $70 per day depending on the traveling season.
– Directions from San Juan to Ceiba Airport.
By the Public Car System (Carros Publicos)
Carros Publicos is the most used form of transportation by locals and the most economical, about $26 per person and the vans accommodate 12 – 15 passengers. Carros Publicos have set routes and rates. In order to get to the Fajardo Ferry or Ceiba Airport you must take a Public Car early in the morning and it will take more time, about 4 hours from San Juan to the Fajardo / Ceiba area. Carros Publicos only run from Monday – Saturday.
– Take a taxi from the Airport and ask the driver to take you to the Rio Piedras Central Public Car Station.
– From the Rio Piedras Station, either ask the driver to take you to “Playa Fajardo” Fajardo Beach, or get off and ask another driver to take you to the Ceiba Airport or Ferry Terminal.